Complaints process

The Mental Health Law Centre emphasises that any individual accessing its services or affected by its operations, has the right and opportunity to lodge a complaint or dispute. The Mental Health Law Centre aims to resolve complaints quickly, efficiently and fairly.

Complaints may be made verbally or in writing and will be responded to within 7 days. The Law Centre will consider all complaints received, treat all complaints with respect – recognising its importance to the complainant – and wherever possible resolve complaints to the satisfaction of the complainant.

All parties to the complaint will be kept informed throughout the complaint process.

Complaint Procedure for Client:

  1. Make complaint verbally, in writing, or over the phone to a Law Centre staff member. When making a complaint please include: Your full name and contact details, clearly defined specific grievance and details of the incident, clearly identified desired outcome. If the staff member can assist with your grievance at the time, please cooperate with them.
  2. Your complaint will be investigated by the Principal Legal Officer. Please be aware of limited time resources of the Law Centre and be patient when waiting for a response.
  3. Within seven days of the complaint being made you will receive a response notifying you of the outcome of your complaint.
  4. If you are unhappy with the response, please contact the Health and Disability Services Complaints Office (08 6551 7600 or Free Call 1800 999 057) or the Health Consumers Council of Western Australia (08 9221 3422 or Free Call 1800 620 780) with your complaint.

Complaints about Lawyers:

As a professional, lawyers are expected to provide an extremely high standard to their client. A few common issues you may have with your lawyer:

  • Unprofessional conduct; including when undue delays occur and appropriate care & diligence is not taken.
  • Lack of Communication; if you feel you are having communication difficulties, let your lawyer know as soon as is practicable and if need be they can refer to the Principle Legal Officer for advice.
  • You do not agree with legal advice given; if you feel this way please tell your lawyer this and they will refer the matter to the Principle Legal Officer for review.

If you are still unsatisfied with the conduct of a legal professional after following the aforementioned Mental Health Law Centre complaints procedure then please contact the Legal practice board, Legal Profession Complaints Committee. Ph: 08 9461 2299; Email: